Saturday, January 24, 2015

Character

 Sweater: Ann Taylor | Dress: Lulu's | Shoes: Steve Madden | Watch: Michael Kors 








Character. The single most important thing that defines everyone. At least in my opinion. Your character is made up of who you are, your influences, your favorite music, your hobbies, talents, struggles, and everything else in this world. That's what makes people special. Everyones character makes them unique and that is why everyone matters. You matter. I matter. We all matter because we all have the potential to do something great with our lives and to make a positive impact in other peoples lives.
I bring the topic of character up because I realized sometimes people make choices you don't like that defines who they are in your eyes. For instance, my sports team and I had a team dinner with each other and one of my close friends is on the team. We were all able to chose our own restaurant to get take out from but for the fear of being independent, and straying away from the crowd, everyone went to get food from the same place...except for me. I thought my good friend would come with me too because I could tell she did not want to go where everyone else went, but she did anyway. And I was alone. It probably is not a big deal but I just thought people would stand up for what they want even if it is as minor as what to eat. And then the next day the same friend insulted me about the person I used to be and that really hurt me. You don't expect your friends to use you mistakes as ammunition to hurt you when they are annoyed at you so that really shocked me. Do I let something like this go and confront her if it happens again or should I tell her now? I don't know what to do.
However some people have the most wonderful personalities ever. One of my friends who lives on the other side of the country is one of the most amazing people I know. She also writes her own blog with some very amazing stories. I recommend checking out her most recent article about the difference between sympathy and empathy. People like my friend Sydney (the one whose blog I just linked) bring people up, do not tear them down, support others, and help others through their struggles. She is an advocate for many different causes, has many spectacular experiences and through that learns a lot about herself, something I hope to accomplish.
That is my thought on character.
As for my dance, I won't lie, I cried before leaving. I think I was overwhelmed with everything going on around me that at first I had a difficult time enjoying the moment. But once I got to the party bus, my friends continuously tried to cheer me up and it didn't work. I realized that in order for me to have a good time, I need to make an effort for myself, so thats what I did and it worked. So I danced for three hours straight in my heels because my dress was too long and somehow my feet managed. As for the whole date situation, after following Ellen's advise, I decided not to take a date. Although I was unsure of my decision at first, I think for me it was a good one because for now I need to focus on myself and at the end of the day we all danced together and it didn't matter who came with who.
Thats all for now. Thank you for reading this loong post!
xox
Leah

1 comment:

  1. I just saw this post at the bottom after commenting on 'Wishing'.

    Leah, in the most sincere way possible over the Internet, I'm sorry. It can be hard to stand up for yourself and go against the current no matter the topic. So in that way I can understand why it'd be hard for her to do it, and in another way I applaud you for standing up for yourself and doing it anyway. I think whether you confront her or not will help define your character and the character you have when confronted in these situations. At the end of the day, you have to be the one to live with your decisions.

    Don't let your friends harsh words strike you down. We all make mistakes and what sets you apart from others is the fact that you're aware and you're quite clearly to me striving for a difference. It can be hard for people to co-exist these two identities you have: then and now. Sometimes they just don't see what you feel and how you've changed, how you've grown. That's not on you, that is truly them. Maybe they'll see the change and maybe they won't. And I'm definitely not encouraging what I'm about to say... but don't be afraid to let people go. It's hard, it is oh so achingly hard. Especially when they're close, as close as siblings. But people change, people grow, and sometimes people do not want to acknowledge that.

    I'm glad you're focusing on yourself and you felt comfortable with your decision for the dance :) Sorry for maybe coming across a little too know it all or Dr Phil, but what you've written just resonates with me because I've felt those emotions before and still do now. You're never alone in this, Leah. I'm glad you have friends like Sydney, I'm definitely checking her out now too.

    All the best,
    Ellen.


    Elleosophy

    ReplyDelete

Pro Blogger Templates by pipdig